It’s time to start preparing for PTA/PTSA officer elections for the 2014-2015 school year. The first step is to elect a Nominating Committee. The members of this Special Committee are elected to identify a slate of qualified candidates. Once the slate of candidates has been identified and posted, the election of officers occurs at a General PTA Membership Meeting according to your local unit bylaws. The Nominating Committee is dissolved after the election of officers. Remember:
- Only current members of your PTA/PTSA can serve on Nominating Committee
- The Nominating Committee is never chosen by the president.
- The Nominating Committee is not chosen by asking for volunteers
- The PTA/PTSA president can not serve and is not an ex officio of the Nominating Committee
- The principal can serve on this committee if elected to do so.
- The total number of committee members must be an odd number
- The future of your PTA is determined by the leadership qualities of the candidates recommended by the Nominating Committee
Consult your bylaws to confirm the exact number of members that must be elected to serve on the Nominating Committee, the month of your elections and the PTA/PTSA officer positions that are available. Remember – officers are elected not selected and must go through the election process.
Below are some documents and information to help you in electing your nominating committee and conducting your elections.
If you have any questions, please contact the Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.