PTSA General Meeting Notes, April 14, 2014
Meeting called to order at 7:02pm
- Welcome also on-line audience, using web meeting to participate from home.
- Pledge of allegiance.
|Old business and approval of last meeting’s minutes
- Minutes from March meeting were available on-line and could be voted on for approval;
- Old business to discuss the future of concessions at school performances as a source of income for PTSA
- Proper money management protocols require Committee Chairs to attend events, take responsibility for money, and hand money in to the Executive Board. During the 2013-14 school term it has been extremely challenging coordinating Committee Chair and Executive Board Member coverage for these events.
- Consideration for transferring Concessions for events to Junior class. PTSA would still solicit donations and volunteers to help at the events. Donations and volunteers would still garner service hours. The money would go to the Junior class to help offset the high cost of dues.
- Spirit wear sales require the same protocol for money management but is not being considered for transfer.
- Membership approved revisiting this issue next academic year.
- There have been relatively large expenses in the past month: funds for Highleit to travel to a competition, printing programs, others smaller including pop corn. Funds were also raised and the balance ending was $20,475.
- Requests already received are for the year book, social studies travel and party. All requests need to be received promptly so the Executive Board can try to accommodate funding requests.
- The board moved around items from unused categories to cover some of the requests.
- Next year the budget could have more broadly defined categories to allow more flexibility.
- Membership approved the treasurer’s report and budget.
- The nomination committee received the following nominations
- Dr. Terry O’Toole for President
- Ms. Carla Jackson for Vice President
- Treasurer – VACANT
- Ms. Lyn Brown for Secretary
- Since no nominations were received for Treasurer, Harold will serve in that role until a replacement is identified.
- The audience approved the new board.
- Special recognition of Ms. Mary Cash for volunteering 267 hours with a certificate from PTSA and a gift card. Also recognized were Shana and Andrew Lashley, Kevin Gallagher, Tenesha Kelley and Devora Reiss.
- Staff acknowledgment
- 29 days of school are left of this academic year. Parents were encouraged to know the status of student’s performance. Communication with students and teachers is essential for success. Students need to understand their role.
- Watch for announcements of times and dates of events in DSA This Week.
- The US test preparation for ‘USAtestprep.com’; user id is Dekalb Arts 52; password is STU9547. Students should use this for studying.
- During June, all remaining eligible classrooms will be upgraded with Promethean boards.
- The Washington Post listed DSA as the 179th most challenging high school nationally, and 4th in GA. (http://apps.washingtonpost.com/local/highschoolchallenge/schools/2013/list/national/).
- Dr. Crosslin encourages students applying for the Posse scholarship to submit documents by April 30th. There are also DeKalb Teen Court applications due and opportunities for summer internships posted in the counseling office.
Assistant Principal’s Announcements
- Schedules for next year are complete
- 8th graders have their CRCT tests coming up
- Parent/Teacher conferences are Wednesday the 16th
- Last progress reports will be sent home soon.
- EDCT will be May 5th-9th , AP tests start the same week
- Fringe festival starts April 29th with all day activities on Sat, May 3rd.
- There are some committee chair positions vacant; existing DSA parents are encouraged to volunteer and to help integrate incoming DSA families into the DSA community. DSA has a strong volunteer community.
- Parents are encouraged to support local businesses and state our affiliation with DSA; over time, reciprocity with the businesses will benefit DSA.
- Several events are coming up that require volunteers: Teacher appreciation on April 16th, AP testing snack packing, a surprise event for teachers, and donations of tissue and hand sanitizer.
- New “Flower Power” fundraiser, the idea of Terry Reid: “Flower Power”; look for the link at PTSA4DSA.org.
- A thank you to all parents who contributed to make this a very successful year, there were many accomplishments.
- Spirit wear is available for sale.
Meeting adjourned at 7:57 pm.