This week at DSA
1/19 MLK, Jr. Holiday – Schools and Offices Closed
1/20 Students Return – Day 2 – Even
2015-2016 DSA Application Information Session 6pm
1/22 Beta Club Induction 8:30
1/24 2015-2016 DSA Application Information Session 10am
SPA Dance – Glow-Rama 7-11pm $5 in advance – see Mr. Landes for Tickets
1/27 2015-2016 DSA Application Information Session 10 am
2/6 2015-2016 DSA New Student Application Deadline 2 pm
2/6-7 Black History Tour Show
2/9 2015-2016 Application Deadline 2pm
Thanks to all the families for the great support with Dance Concert! Your assistance makes all the difference in what we are able to do with your children!
Updates and Reminders
Donations of Kleenex tissue and hand sanitizer greatly appreciated!!!
Student tardy/check-ins: When a student returns after an absence, please make sure to have a note ready for the front office in order for the absence to be marked excused. Absences of 4 days or longer will require a doctor’s note.If checking a student in to school after a doctor/dental appointment, present the note from their office in order for the tardy to be marked excused.
Drop-off Items: As a reminder, in order to protect instructional time, students will be called to the office to retrieve “drop off” items at specific times during the day.
PTSA Volunteer Spotlight!
A big thank you to all of our PTSA volunteers for all you do to support DSA. Congratulations to our top three PTSA volunteers for the first semester!
- Mary Cash (63 hours)
- Tina Dumas (25 hours)
- Irenea Seufert (24.5 hours)
ELPC Jan Meeting: Legislative Update
January 21, 2015
2914 Evans Woods Drive, Doraville, GA 30340
Join us at 9:00 am (refreshments @ 8:45am)
We are starting our meeting early to accommodate our guest’s schedules
Happy New Year to our ELPC Members!
As always, we are starting our year off with the timely and interesting LEGISLATIVE UPDATE, where we welcome our state legislators to inform us on the key issues in this year’s legislative session. Be prepared to hear about educational issues at the state and local level and how they will affect you!
- State Senator Fran Millar (R-Dunwoody)
- State Representative Scott Holcomb (D District 81)
(We will update as confirmations are made.)
Stay current with progress on the superintendent search with the DCSD superintendent search information page.
Superintendent Michael Thurmond’s presentation on the Druid Hills annexation issue here.
2015-2016 DSA Application
The 2015-2016 DSA Application is now available on the DSA web-site. If you know interested families, please direct them to the new application. Application deadline is February 2, 2 pm.
2015-2016 School Calendar
At the January 12th meeting, the DeKalb County Board of Education approved the 2015-2016 school calendar. The approved calendar is instructionally sound and aligns with similarly sized districts in close geographic proximity. The calendar contains the following features:
180 days of instruction – 87 in first semester and 93 in second semester
- First day of school for students – Monday, August 10, 2015
- 190 teacher-contract days including one evening workday comprised of four conference nights during the year as scheduled by each local school (Each conference night is two hours. 5 teacher workdays before the first day of school – August 3, 2015 – August 7, 2015
- Holidays for all – Labor Day, Columbus Day, Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Day, and President’s Day
- Professional Development Day – October 9, 2015
- Thanksgiving break – November 23-27, 2015
- Conclude first semester December 18, 2015 to prevent students from taking final exams or state-mandated tests at the beginning of second semester
- Winter break – December 21, 2015 – January 1, 2016
- Post planning first semester/Pre-planning second semester –January 4, 2016
- First day of second semester – January 5, 2016
- February Break – February 12, 2016 or Inclement Weather Make-up Day, if needed
- Professional Development Day – March 11, 2016
- April Break – April 1, 2016 or Inclement Weather Make-up Day, if needed
- Spring Break – April 4-8, 2016 (coincides with most metro area districts)
- Last day of school for students – May 26, 2016
- Post planning second semester – May 27, 2016
Please review the attached 2015-2016 school calendar that guides students and 10-month employees. The Division of Human Resources will distribute the workday calendar for 11 and 12-month employees at a later date. Thank you for your continued support.
Dr. Alice A. Thompson
School Leadership and Operational Support
DeKalb County School District
1701 Mountain Industrial Blvd.
Stone Mountain, GA 30083